Friday, July 3, 2009

Independence Day

I have always loved the 4th of July, but as I was reflecting on what Independence Day actually means the following thoughts came to me.

What does it really mean to be free? How can we follow the teachings of scripture and the Church and still have that freedom? I have found in my personal experience that the more I learn and know about the truth, the more freedom I have to follow God's plan and live freely in His truth.

God loves us so much that he gave us free will, so not only do we have an independent country, but we also have personal independence. With this freedom comes a great deal of responsibility. The saying, "The truth will set you free," really speaks to how we can find that independence. We must live in the truth and act in the truth if we are going to remain free. If we abuse the truth then we will lose our freedom.

"Let’s thank God for our freedom, but let’s not sit by idly while the forces of darkness divorce freedom from truth." - Fr. Corapi

As we celebrate Independence Day, let's reflect on what we can do in order to bring more truth into our culture of darkness.

No comments: