Thursday, October 29, 2009

Giving verse Using

To give means to present voluntarily and without expecting compensation. Another definition of give is to place in someone’s care, and another is to be warm and open in relationships with another person. The part of all of these definitions that sticks out to me is that it is free. Giving is a choice people make with their own free will. Love treats another person like a person, whereas lust treats another person like an object.

On the other hand using is taking advantage of someone or exploiting them. Another definition of using is to consume entirely and another to exhaust the vigor or usefulness. I know that I don’t want to be taken advantage of or used, especially by someone who “loves” me. Don’t give in to lust and settle for being treated like an object.

When looking at the definitions of giving versus using, it is clear to me that a giving relationship is a loving one and in a relationship using is lusting. I want to be in a giving and loving relationship and not one in which there is lust and I am being used. The dignity we have as humans is far beyond being used or lusted after.

No comments: