Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Breakin' up is hard to do: My letter to the Susan G. Komen Foundation

The Susan G. Komen Foundation has denounced its relationship with Planned Parenthood! This is thrilling news for anyone in support of women's health, family life, marriage, the pro-life movement...

This is a bold move that could very well result in the loss of many of the Foundations' supporters, so I encourage you to write them a letter, assuring them that they have gained your support. Not sure what to say? Here's the letter I sent them today. Feel free to copy:

To whom it may concern:

I am personally grateful that you have severed ties with Planned Parenthood. Thank you for taking this important step in women's health. I look forward to supporting your work in preventing breast cancer through mammograms (which, as I understand it, Planned Parenthood does not provide) and other services. Although severing your relationship with Planned Parenthood was likely a difficult choice, it is truly necessary, because an abundance of studies indicate that abortion and oral contraception (to which Planned Parenthood can direct more funds while someone else foots the bill for other services) increase a woman's risk of breast cancer. By cutting ties with Planned Parenthood, the Susan G. Komen foundation is refusing to fund what it fights. Thank you for your commitment to the cure.

Kelly O'Brien


I sent my letter to news@komen.org. If letters ought to be addressed to someone else in the Foundation, please let me know!

No comments: